After you place an order on Instacart, you may see a charge from us you didn’t expect. Some of these charges can range from—
- A temporary authorization hold for an order in process
- An adjusted total for changes in your order (e.g., unavailable items or replaced items at a different price)
- A recurring charge, such as an Instacart+ subscription fee
Why is my card charged with a temporary authorization hold?
We place a temporary authorization hold for a slightly higher amount than your estimated order total. The authorization hold amount varies but is typically calculated at about 115% of the order total and is rounded to the nearest $5 increment. This small difference accounts for potential changes in the final total due to special requests, added items, items replaced at a different price, and the actual weight of items.
We release the authorization hold after your order is delivered or canceled. It can then take 7 business days for the pending charge to drop, depending on your bank.
We will only charge you for the total of the items delivered to you.
Why is my final total different from the total at checkout?
When you place an order, we show you the anticipated total, including estimated taxes and fees. The final total charged to your card may be different if any changes occur during the shopping process, such as—
- An item is out of stock and you’re refunded
- You add an item to your order after checkout
- An item you order needs to be replaced, and the replacement has a different price
- An item you order is sold by weight and the exact weight is slightly different
- Your personal shopper fulfills a special request for an item not in the catalog
Why does my statement have a recurring charge?
In certain instances, the statement from your bank may show that a one-time order charge is "recurring." This happens when our payments processor marks certain payments as recurring so that you're able to place future orders without re-entering your credit card information.
If none of the options above apply and you still feel the charge you see is fraudulent, please contact us and include the following information—
- The last four digits of your card number
- The date of the unauthorized charge(s)
- The amount of the unauthorized charge(s)
We recommend reaching out before you dispute unknown charges with your bank. Your account will be on hold once you file a dispute and the investigation may take up to 90 days to resolve.